Tuesday, January 06, 2009

WEIGHT-LIFTING


The bathtub at work is raised, so that we don't have to kneel down to wash dogs. Of course, this means that we do have to lift the dogs up to get them into the tub. The upper rim of the tub is at about waist level on an average person.

I can lift most dogs into the tub by myself. Sometimes, though, I have to get help. I had to bathe a German shepherd today that I simply could not hoist more than a couple of inches off the floor. Pretty short dog, but solid as a rock.

So I took her out front to the scales and weighed her, just out of curiosity. She weighed ninety-eight pounds. (Fat dog. Short, but fat.)

I know I have lifted dogs that weighed at least eighty pounds into the tub before, by myself. So, somewhere between eighty and ninety-five pounds, that's where my cutoff is.

Maybe I should lift weights and work up to 110 pounds. We probably almost never get dogs in that are heavier than that.