Friday, March 27, 2009

Conversation with Lillie

The big girls (ages 12 and 11, Amelia and her friend) are watching a movie in the living room. The little girls, Francie and Lillie, are disturbing them. It's past bedtime anyway (it's spring break). So, bedtime for the little girls. Lillie is crying.

Lillie: "The big girls get to do everything! How come they get to do whatever they want?"

Mom: "Because they're big. They don't get to do whatever they want, anyway."

Lillie, wailing and insistent: "I'm big!"

Mom: "Hmm . . . did you grow? What did I tell you about growing? You are not allowed to grow. If you grow, then I won't have my baby any more."

Lillie: "Mom, you know I can't help my body! I have to grow!"

Mom: "I don't grow. I haven't grown in ages. If I can stop growing, you can."

Lillie: "Mom! You stopped growing because at some point in somebody's life they stop growing. Because they're full grown. That's why you'll never be as tall as Daddy. My teacher said so."

Mom: "Your teacher! What do teachers know? I think you can stop growing if you want to."

Lillie: "Mom!" Rolls eyes. "Teachers know everything." Pauses to think. "Except, they forget where they put stuff a lot."