Tuesday, August 18, 2009

MULTIPLE PERSONALITIES, MULTIPLE CHILDREN

I was an only child. I complain about the chaos around here, but I do think it's healthier for children to be raised with other children. Healthier for the kids, at least. The parents wear out faster.

Sometimes it's hard to keep track of just how many kids we have, especially if you listen from the other room. The two little ones (ages 7 and 8 as of this writing) take on multiple roles in their make-believe games. Francie, in particular, is capable of being two or three different people and of talking for all of them.

Overheard from the kitchen (where there are TWO children):

Francie is rolling around on an ottoman with wheels, which is apparently a car, and talking to herself. Arguing with herself, actually. I finally figure out that she is representing two arguing children, probably herself and Lillie.

Francie: "I want to be in the front seat! No, I get to be in the front seat!"

Lillie, who is presumably the mom, runs in: "Guys-guys-guys, the wheel is in the front seat so I will be in the front seat. You two will be in the back seat. Now let's go shopping. You both stay with me."

Francie: "Can I be in the front back seat?" (I have no idea what that means.)

Just how many kids did I have, anyway?